- Email: email@example.com
- Office: QNC 3317
- Office Phone: 519-888-4567 ext. 37485
Thomas Jennewein completed his PhD thesis in 2002 at the University of Vienna, focusing on Quantum Communication and Teleportation Experiments with Entangled Photon Pairs.
In 2003 he changed to industry, and worked as an engineering consultant in the automotive industry (Munich), pioneering next-generation multimedia systems at Audi.
Since 2004, he was a senior researcher at the Vienna branch of Institute for Quantum Optics and Quantum Information (IQOQI) working on quantum photonics experiments, such as the generation of entangled photons with parametric down conversion and the long distance transmission of photons over optical fiber and free space. He is also a highly qualified electronics and software specialist, and has designed and built many novel research instruments, including single photon detectors as well as coincidence electronics.
In 2002 he was awarded the Loschmidt-Prize of the Austrian Physical-Chemical society for his PhD thesis. In 2006 he was able to attract a Linkage International Fellowship from the Australian Research Council, which enabled him to spend a six-month period in 2007 and 2008 with the University of Queensland.
In March 2009 Thomas joined the University of Waterloo as an Associate Professor with the Physics Department and became a member of the Institute for Quantum Computing (IQC).
- Quantum communication and quantum computation experiments using entangled photons
- Quantum teleportation
- Orbital angular momentum of photons
- Long distance quantum communication via optical fibers, free space, and satellite based links
- Foundations of physics and quantum information, entanglement in large and complex systems
- PhD, University of Vienna, 2002
- Masters of Experimental Physics, University of Innsbruck, 1997
Awards & Honours
- International Research Fellowship of the Australian Research Council, 2007
- Loschmidt prize of the Austrian Physical-Chemical Society for the PhD Thesis, 2002
|Associate Professor||IQC, University of Waterloo||2009- Present|
|Research Fellow||University of Queensland||2007-2008|
|Senior Scientist||Austrian Academy of Sciences, Vienna||2004-2009|
|Engineering Consultant||Automotive Electronics, Munich||2003-2004|