- Email: email@example.com
- Office: QNC 4129
- Office Phone: 519-888-4567 ext. 32870
- Admin Support: Michele Roche
Norbert Lütkenhaus studied at the Rheinisch-Westfälische Technische Hochschule Aachen (RWTH Aachen) and the Ludwig Maximilian University (LMU) of Munich, from which he graduated with a thesis in general relativity.
He then changed the field to study quantum optics and quantum cryptography under the supervision of Stephen M. Barnett at the University of Strathclyde, Scotland, UK.
In 1996 he obtained his PhD after postdoctoral positions in Innsbruck (Peter Zoller and Ignacio Cirac) and the Helsinki Institute of Physics (Kalle-Antti Suominen).
He worked for MagiQ Technologies (New York) to initiate the project of commercial realisation of quantum key distribution.
Returning to academia in 2001, he built up and lead an Emmy-Noether Research Group at the University of Erlangen-Nürnberg, during which time he did his habiliation (2004).
Currently he is a Professor at the Institute for Quantum Computing (IQC) and in the Physics department at the University of Waterloo and runs the Optical Quantum Communication Theory Group.
All office related emails should be sent to:
All confidential emails should be sent to:
- The theory of practical quantum key distribution systems
- Methods and tools for entanglement verification
- Linear optic quantum logic operation and measurement implementation
- Quantum state detection and estimation theory
- Habilitation, University Erlangen-Nürnberg, 2003
- PhD in Physics, University of Strathclyde, 1996
- Masters, Diplom Physik, LMU München, 1993
|Professor||Institute for Quantum Computing and Department of Physics & Astronomy, University of Waterloo||2011-Present|
|Associate Professor||Institute for Quantum Computing and Department of Physics & Astronomy, University of Waterloo||2006-2011|
|Leader of Independent Emmy-Noether Research||Institute for Theoretical Physics and Max-Planck Research Group, Institute of Optics, Information and Photonics||2001-2005|
|Project Leader||MagiQ Technologies Inc.||2000-2001|
|Senior Scientist (Research Fellow)||Helsinki Institute of Physics, Finland||1997-2000|